Friday, October 22, 2010

Mixed Emotions

Tuesday, October 19, Danny and I flew to New Orleans for my second follow-up after my surgery.  We met Dr. Woltering for the first time, and I was a little put off because he knew nothing of my case.  I had to tell him I had surgery in May, then he flipped through my chart and looked at the results of the tumor studies done after my surgery, and briefly looked at my recent test results.  He explained in-depth how my tumors have very little activity (Dr. Boudreaux did that when Jess and I went down there in July), and explained the benefits of black raspberries in squelching the development of new blood vessels in the tumors.  Dr. Boudreaux had mentioned that my tumors responded favorably to black raspberries, but didn't give us details.  Dr. Woltering told us we can order freeze dried black raspberries online (which I did in July, but couldn't figure out how to consume the powder), and explained how to make a tea.  The powder is very expensive (I paid $25 plus shipping for 5 oz.) and I'm supposed to consume 60 grams (2 oz) per day by drinking the tea.  I don't see how it would be possible to make a tea using 2 oz of the powder...I used 1 tablespoon and that amount really thickened the tea.  Sixty grams would have to make it the consistency of syrup!  At any rate, I'm hoping 1 tablespoon per day will offer some benefit, because that's about all I can do!

Regarding test results, little was said about them.  It seems that not much is going on right now, so we assume a wait and see pose.  I asked about the enlarged lymph nodes in the cardiophrenic area, and Dr. Woltering's response was that it's like the invisible rattle snake in the corner.  As long as it remains invisible, we do nothing, but when it rears its head, we remove the lymph nodes.  I'm still somewhat concerned because if I'm reading the report correctly, the nodes have enlarged since a previous enlargement...hasn't the snake reared its head?

I met the dietitian, who expressed concern over the fact that I had lost weight since the last appointment (2 pounds), and it was determined that my body is not processing fat since my gall bladder was removed, so I now am taking a pancreatic enzyme called Creon with every meal and snack.  I'm to take up to 3 pills with my snacks and 3 with my meals.  I also have "dumping syndrome" (not my terminology) and have to change my diet.  I'm not to drink with my meals (either 30 minutes prior or 60 minutes after) so the food I eat is not flushed out, and many of the foods I love now have to be eliminated.  I have to keep a food diary to determine how different foods affect me, and will go from there.

I had to have a couple of vials of blood drawn (barely felt it) and am going back to see Dr. Woltering on April 5.  Prior to that, I have to have all the scans and blood work done here again, so guess how I'll be spending my spring break...

Dr. Woltering asked if I had ever had an MRI done, and that's probably the only test I have not gone through.  He wants one now (of my liver) and another in six months, so I'm scheduled for that this Sunday.  I'm glad Mercy had that option so I don't have to miss more school.

So, with mixed emotions, I embrace the idea that I'm OK for now.  I just hope that I haven't fallen through the cracks after having provided Ochsner Medical Center a hefty income for my surgery.  Hopefully I still matter to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment