Monday, January 18, 2010

First Sandostatin Injection: January 11, 2010

I got the first injection of Sandostatin LAR on January 11, after quite an ordeal at the pharmacy.  My friend, Karen, went to the doctor's office with me for moral support because I didn't really know what to expect.  The week prior, (nurse) Sandy said that small, sandy particles will be injected into my hip, which was a little unsettling.  The injection wasn't bad at all, and before I knew it, it was over.  The sandy particles are actually time-release particles that release throughout the month to keep the hormone symptoms under control. 

Five minutes after the injection, I felt a little dizzy and within 10 minutes, a little woozy, but I made it home in one piece.  That evening, I noticed a marked decrease in flushing and felt really good until I went to bed that evening.  I had a painful burning in my stomach similar to what I have felt in the past when taking antibiotics.  Fortunately, the feeling didn't last too long, and the next day I felt better than I had in quite some time.

The injection site has become increasingly tender throughout the week, but is not nearly as uncomfortable as the flushing incidents.  The injection will be alternated between hips each month, and I'm curious to see what happens to the tenderness as time progresses.  The next injection will be on February 11.

No comments:

Post a Comment