Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Chemoembolization Procedure

My procedure has been scheduled for Tuesday, January 26 at 12:30 p.m. at Baptist.  I'm ready to get the show on the road, and am planning to be back at school on the following Monday...I have to be...I don't have any lesson plans ready beyond Friday the 29th!! :)  (It's not procrastination...it's taking one step at a time.)

The Sandostatin is still working and the flushing has really decreased.  My stomach still hurts, but my main issue seems to be allergies right now.  Some of my students said I should sue my doctor for not having diagnosed this disease, since I've complained to her about my stomach problems for the past 5 years.  I stressed to them the importance of pushing a doctor to dig a little deeper instead of whipping out the prescription pad or blaming symptoms on stress.  I regret that I didn't demand an X-ray or CT scan, but I'm glad Dr. La ordered the ultrasound which found the mass on my left ovary.  I would not have left his office that day in November had he not done something.  The pain was excrutiating by then.

Thank you Alisha, Kyle/Shannon and Brooke for your very nice comments!  I'm new at this and can't figure out how to reply to you (if it's even possible), but please know that your kind words were very uplifting.

5 comments:

  1. idk how to reply to comments either, other than leave one yourself.... :) hoping things go smoothly! we are still home- i would be more than glad to bring you anything you need or want-- snacks, magazines, whatever- you name it! just email me-- please!-- if you think of ANYTHING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning Nan, I am not too good at this technological stuff but I'm going to try. I've had to get our IT guy to help me this far so who knows what we might end up with. So glad to read this blog and see how things are progressing. I hope you know that we are praying for you and thinking about you. If you need anything at all you know we're only a few minutes away. Since Cotton is gone most evenings M-Th I am usually not doing anything important and would be happy to come by and help with anything. Also I can take most anytime and take you to doctor appointments or get prescriptions for you or anything you might need. I have a pretty forgiving and understanding boss. Please use me if you need to, no matter when or what time. Love and Prayers to you, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey mom! I never in a million years thought that I would be writing on a blog much less my mom's but at any rate...
    : ) Reading your earlier posts and looking back on the last month it feels like it has been a whole year, maybe because I am in anatomy again haha. Anyway, I have been reading a lot about the healing power of prayer and there was this guy who was in a car accident and he had all of these injuries. His family and friends were all with him at the hospital and the doctors would come out and tell them what the most life threatening thing was at that moment. For example, his brain had several locations in which it was bleeding and when the doctors told the family and friends that was the most life threatening injury at the moment they immediately started praying for the bleeding in his brain. Soon after, the bleeding had stopped so they asked the doctors what was the next thing and started praying for that. Soon after, that was gone too. That went on and on until the only injuries left were broken bones. I thought this story was interesting because all of the injuries that this man had should have killed him but because of the prayers he lived. I know that you aren't in immediate danger but you are in pain and you have some issues with needles so I thought this story was kind of relevant and heart warming.
    On a side note, are you doing the new chemoembolization or the one that has been done already?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Mrs. Osterman. I just recently heard about you're diagnosis and what you've been going through for the past month. I Just wanted to let you know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. I hope the treatment you're receiving provides you relief and quick healing. I wonder if the "Dr. Ch" you talk about is Saadia Chohan; she was my mom's oncologist for the course of her treatment. If so, she's a brilliant physician and I know you will do well under her care. Again, I wish you fast healing and look forward to future updates. All the best, Michael

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nancy, I am hoping to hear from you on your update. I am praying that everything went well. I know from my dad's chemo that it makes you sick, exhausted, and weak. I am hoping everything went well. Just thinking of you and letting you know you are in my prayers and thoughts. Love, Kathy Morris

    ReplyDelete