Sunday, January 17, 2010

"Solutions are not the answer." - Richard Nixon (January 6, 2010)

Danny and Jessica picked me up at school for my oncologist appointment on Wednesday, January 6.  The day I had looked forward to had finally arrived, and I got scared.  Really scared.  Was I really ready for the final diagnosis?  After having spent a week wanting to find out, anxious to find out, the reality of it hit me like a ton of bricks.  And in we went...

The results of all the tests and scans showed that I do have carcinoid and carcinoid syndrome, and nothing was found other than the tumor in the mesentery and the lesions on my liver.  Even the mass on my ovary is unrelated, for which I am grateful, but the ovary will still need to be removed at a later date. 

The course of action for my treatment includes a monthly shot of Sandostatin LAR, 30 mg, (octreotide) for the rest of my life to counteract my flushing.  The shot costs $4,000, and according to Dr. Ch's insurance person, my portion each month will cost $650.  She gave me information about a foundation called the Health Well Foundation which provides assistance to persons who qualify financially.  One of the application requirements is a letter or form from the insurance company stating that the treatment is covered by my insurance.  In my quest to obtain the letter/form, I stumbled on a subsidiary company which provides specialty medicines at a reduced cost.  Sandostatin is covered under the prescription portion of my insurance, so I should be able to get it through the subsidiary company via mail order for $50 a month.  Much better than $650 a month!!  I'm so grateful to Amy at Health Choice for telling me about it!

Within the next 3 weeks I will have to be admitted to the hospital for a hepatic artery embolization, but Dr. Ch could not give us any details about the procedure...we will have a consultation with the radiologist within the week.  She does not feel I need to have the mesentery tumor de-bulked (reduced) at this time, but I'm not sure why.  I will address that later because I'm eating this elephant one bite at a time.

So, as bleak as the diagnosis is, I'm happy and relieved it's not any worse.  Danny and Jessica are, too.  I can't imagine what it must feel like to be 20 and find out your mom has cancer...

No comments:

Post a Comment