Thursday, February 9, 2012

Another Day, Another Week

Every evening this week, I've been in my fall asleep on the couch after dinner mode.  Finally today, I'm vertical and am going to catch up on my journey. 

Monday I went for my bi-monthly labwork and my hemoglobin count was down (9.2 and it should be 10+), so I had to get an Aranesp shot.  While I was waiting, there was a family waiting as well, and I overheard their conversation and figured out that one of them had recently been diagnosed with Carcinoid.  I shared everything I could with them until I was called to the back for my shot, and learned that the patient's journey was quite similar to my own...his doctor kept telling him his stomach issues were stress-related, though I don't know how long he had suffered.  It was long enough that the cancer had metastasized to his liver, and he suffered from flushing.  He was waiting for his first Sandostatin shot, and the family asked how long before it took effect, and I told them it was immediate.  When I took my first shot, I felt drunk, and my symptoms were quickly relieved.  I wanted so badly to tell them about my experience in New Orleans, but didn't think that would have been appropriate given that I was in the waiting room at Mercy Oncology...they might have frowned upon that.  Hopefully he will receive good care, but I just don't think his treatment will be very aggressive.

I took the baby quilt to work for show and tell with the Lunch Bunch, and got good feedback, so I'm feeling pretty confident that the recipient will like it as well.  If nothing else, she can throw it on the floor for Sawyer to play on.

Wednesday, I went to my M.D.'s office for my monthly Sandostatin shot.  I absolutely dread it each time, but it DOES do a lot of good, so I'm thankful it's available to myself and others in the same boat.  When I got home Danny had to run a couple of errands and offered dinner out, so I jumped on that like it was a lifeboat!  The cutest tale occurred as a result...on the way home Jess called and wanted to know where we were.  Danny told her we went to eat.  She said, "It's Wednesday!!"  (We go out on Friday and Saturday usually.)  Danny told her we sometimes get spontaneous...I guess you had to be there, but we got a chuckle out of it and were flattered that she was so concerned about our whereabouts.

So, the meteorologists are all saying we're going to have some snow Sunday into Monday, so I'm praying for it AND a snow day!  I went to the library today and got 3 new books just in case.  Tonight it's misty and dreary and I'm loving it...

Happy Trails!!

No comments:

Post a Comment