Monday, January 30, 2012

January 30, the Thirtieth Step

After a night of tossing and turning, I was fairly worn out today.  I'm a little concerned because I had a few incidents last night where I "flushed".  All of a sudden I would become really hot and the heat traveled up toward my head.  If it was in fact flushing, that's not good...it means the carcinoid is active and/or my Sandostatin shots aren't working, and/or my Afinitor isn't working.  Of course I don't go to the doctor until April, so I'll just have to see how it goes between now and then. 

My freshman class is cooking this nine weeks, and we're having some good times!  Today there were 3 groups making pie crusts from scratch.  One group obviously missed the memo on how to read and follow recipe directions as well as measurement equivalents, because their crust (before they added large quanitities of additional flour) looked like cooked oatmeal before they rolled it out.  I asked them how much water they put in the mixture and they put an entire cup, or 4 times what the recipe called for!!!  It looked pretty pathetic after it came out of the oven and is quite thick.  I'm not sure it will be worth filling tomorrow...they may have to eat the chocolate pudding separately!  Hopefully it will be a learning experience for them.  Needless to say, it was pretty entertaining for the rest of the class!

My classes are having a Diaper Dash during the month of February.  What is a Diaper Dash, you might ask?  The Youth and Family Services agency is in need of diaper donations for foster children, those at the emergency shelter and for single moms in dire straits, so my classes are having a competition amongst each other to collect the most diapers for the cause.  Hopefully there will be good participation and we'll collect a lot of diapers for those unfortunate babies.

That about sums up my journey for today, so until tomorrow, Happy Trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment